无与伦比的恩惠

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Jeju Tangerine Harvest

with 0 Comment

Almost half of Jeju people have tangerine trees at home. The farmers in Jeju Island are said to live off of selling tangerine. In 1950-60s, tangerine trees were called "college trees" because one tangerine tree was believed to make enough money to pay for their sons or daughters' college tuitions.

 

Since 1981, Jeju Tangerine Festival has been held every two years with the widespread of tangerine cultivation. I am glad that I could been Jeju during tangerine harvest in my one year exchange program in South Korea. What a great experience : D


As a volunteer helping Jeju farmers to reap the tangerines, at first I was very nervous, because I still couldn't speak Korean fluently, I scared I will trouble them instead of helping them. However, the farmers in Jeju Island were really kind and hospitality. 


My tangerine harvest one day experience: 
9.00am   - Departed
9.30am   - Arrived tangerine farm, learned how to pluck tangerine. 
12.30pm - Free Jeju famous pork as lunch
1.00pm   - After lunch tour 
2.30pm   - Plucked tangerines
4.00pm   - Finished

I enjoyed the time playing in the tangerine garden, I enjoyed the meal, I enjoyed my free tour and the ice cream that I ate during the tour. I think I played instead of helping them! :( My bad! However, the owner gave us 10000 Won as a reward for helping them before we left! How nice and how touch!! I regret I didn't help them more :'( 

I miss that time! I miss the Aju-si, I miss the Ha-ra-bo-ji, I miss the handsome young guy, I miss the nice and sweet tangerines. I miss the tangerine harvest badly :( Wish I could go back there again during tangerine festival in the future.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Life is Good

Life is Good

Vietnam Coffee lover 2014

Vietnam Coffee lover 2014

Love angel in Perhentian 2014

Love angel in Perhentian 2014

First Marathon Hwaiting 2014

First Marathon Hwaiting 2014

Penang Art Street 2014

Penang Art Street 2014

Legoland Johor Bahru 2013

Legoland Johor Bahru 2013

Mt.Kinabalu I made it! 2013

Mt.Kinabalu I made it! 2013

KLCC tower 2013

KLCC tower 2013

Romance about wedding 2012

Romance about wedding 2012

Korean Traditional 한복 2010

Korean Traditional 한복 2010

Autumn in my heart 2010

Autumn in my heart 2010